Category Archives: Divorce

Divorce and Social Security in 10 + year marriages

In meeting with divorcing Oregonians, I get a lot of questions about social security benefits as part of divorce.  Many people don’t know, but if you have been married for at least ten years with your “soon to be ex” … Continue reading

Posted in Divorce | 2 Comments

What To Do When Your Divorce Is This Weeks News

I get questions from potential and current clients about how to deal with the public knowledge (be it local media, your children’s school, your neighborhood or your friends) that you are going through a divorce. Continue reading

Posted in Divorce, News | 1 Comment

New Case Law – Pensions in Payout Status are Treated as Personal Property

On December 29, 2011, the Oregon Court of Appeals decided Rushby and Rushby. In this case, the husband and wife were both former government employees and were both receiving monthly retirement benefit payments from PERS.  Generally retirement accounts are divided … Continue reading

Posted in Divorce | 1 Comment

Accidentally Omitted Liabilities in Divorce

I prevously blogged about omitted assets, and what the court can do if an asset is  left out of property division.  What do you do if you have an omitted liability in your Oregon divorce vs. an omitted asset?  I advise everyone … Continue reading

Posted in Divorce | 1 Comment

New Case Law – Presumption of Equal Contribution

On December 14, 2011, the Oregon Court of Appeals decided Loomis and Loomis. In this case, the wife owned a 60% interest in a piece of property prior to the marriage, and acquired the other 40% interest during the marriage. … Continue reading

Posted in Divorce | 1 Comment

The Benefits Of Cooperating With Your Ex

As a Portland Oregon divorce lawyer, I meet with many parents post divorce that have difficulty getting along with their ex-spouse.  One of the  most stressful events in life is divorce, and it makes sense that divorce would further damage … Continue reading

Posted in Divorce | 2 Comments

To Keep Or Change Last Name?

Are you in the process of a divorce and thinking if you will keep or change your last name? It is a simple process to do as part of a divorce, and harder if you decide to do it after … Continue reading

Posted in Divorce | 2 Comments

Saying “I Do” to a Prenuptial Agreement

If you are a newly-engaged couple, you probably don’t want to think about the possibility that one day you and your soon-to-be spouse will divorce, but there is good reason to consider signing a prenuptial agreement. By entering into a … Continue reading

Posted in Collaborative Divorce, Divorce | 1 Comment

Bankruptcy and Child Support

As the economy continues to struggle, bankruptcy can become an enticing option to more and more people who are looking for a fresh start. We have found that bankruptcy can pose some interesting questions for those receiving payments from their … Continue reading

Posted in Child Support, Divorce | 2 Comments

New Case Law – Stipulated Judgments are Enforceable as Long as They Do Not Violate Law or Public Policy

On August 31, 2011, the Oregon Court of Appeals decided Porter and Griffin. In this case, the Court of Appeals stated that the stipulated divorce judgment that the parties had agreed to in 2009 was enforceable even though it treated … Continue reading

Posted in Divorce, News | 3 Comments